Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hurricane Omar


After all was said and done, Hurricane Omar did pretty minimal damage on St. John...downed trees, one lost home, some screwed up boats, a 2 day hangover from drinking 1 and a half LARGE bottles of wine by myself (thank God for the Westin's heavenly beds). But it was certainly an interesting experience with the anticipation of what could happen. We got to spend quality time with our new neighbors who'd only moved here 2 days prior, and get some serious perspective from my co-worker and his wife who also stayed with us because the boat they'd lived on for 20ish years was in the harbor. Can you imagine that stress?? There was flooding on St. John like I couldn't believe, and SO MUCH WORK to get everything ready, just in case. There was one point where I ran to my apartment to get a change of clothes and just looked around at all my stuff and said, "Screw it." All replaceable, although I would have been devastated. The whole event was the closest this island has seen to a hurricane since the tragic Marilyn in '96 (?), so everyone has a new story to tell and an appreciation for good weather.


Lovely Phoebe, one of the two little dogs that kept us entertained


What we did a good portion of the night--watch the hurricane's track


Beautiful weather less than 24 hours later

3 comments:

lani Keller said...

Thank goodness that you and all your stuff (replaceable...kinda!) is safe and sound. I was tracking that hurricane too!

loves
lani

chira said...

i am glad you are okie dokie.

and sounds like you had a heavenly time in the hurricane.

rain said...

Relieved to hear is all is okay. I think that would be one of the scariest things, ever. I sometimes have nightmares of tidal waves...and trying to get out before it can get us. I wake up feeling like I'm going to vomit with worry. Dramatic for a dream, yeah. However, in your situation, I felt the same way: worried about where you would go, what you could take, what you'd come back to....like I said, I'm SO relieved.