Thursday, October 9, 2008

Love to Love City


As much as I bitch and moan about living here, I have to admit that I am pretty lucky to have the experience of living in "Paradise". I mean, this is the life people dream of, right? After a great weekend of hiking with Jason and my friend Nancy, and house sitting at our usual place (view above), I thought it would be nice to make a list of pros of living in "Love City" St. John. It is a special and unique experience that I'm sure I'll look back on fondly...some day.

So here it is. A list of positives:

-Scenery. Hard to beat it.
-Temperature. Ooh lala. I am sooo spoiled.
-Environmental awareness. Living in such a small, pristine environment, with about 75% National Park, really makes a community come together to maintain its coral reefs, beaches, and forests (at least SOME of the community). And I have learned an invaluable amount about water conservation. It literally hurts me to see someone running water wastefully in the states now.
-Drinks EVERYWHERE! No liquor laws. Take your drinks to the streets, into the stores, into other bars, into cars, NO ONE CARES!! Even the cops drink on duty while driving around. And don't freak over the drinking and driving. There are rarely accidents since the max you can drive on these narrow winding roads is about 25 mph.
-Boat trips. The absolute most important reason I enjoy myself living here is getting out on the water and enjoying other islands. It is like a whole vacation in one day.
-Knowing everyone. Has its ups and downs for a gal who likes her big city anonymity, but it is nice to be in a place where everyone knows your name.
-Iguanas. Boy is it a bummer to run over these big lizards, but they really are stupid--yet wonderful.
-Strong, cheap drinks. Back to alcohol. It is unbelievably cheap.
-Thunderstorms. I thought we had good ones growing up in WYO, but they are unbelievable here, echoing off the steep hills. No comparison.
-Gnips and tamarinds. It is nice to live in a place where at any given time you can just pull a healthy tasty treat off a tree.
-Flamboyants. I think it is my favorite tree...when in bloom.
-Amazing beaches. Seriously now. I am so lucky. So spoiled. There are a lot of well traveled people around here, and apparently the only comparable beaches are in Bali (or was it Fiji?), where I have yet to go. When people think Hawaii beaches are nice, I chuckle to myself and feel highly superior.
-Nighttime chorus of frogs, insects and birds. The best sound to listen to when the barge dock and town below our apartment quiet down for the night.
-Indo fries with spicy aioli. Chicken gorgonzola and walnuts with ravioli. Vodka penne with sausage. Seared fresh tuna. I am a foody, and when I leave there are definitely places I will crave. Mouth watering.
-Last but hardly least, the reason for loving 'Love City', is because this is where I met my love...just after moving here nearly 4 years ago, Jason and I instantly became best friends. The rest is history.

3 comments:

rain said...

You are very lucky to have that experience. I imagine a lot of jealous people, myself included when you tell your island tales. Also, I'm so very glad you found Jason. I think that it's in all our nature to be critical of the "happiness and love" that others find. But once you do, you find that you wish your friends to have it, as well. Simply because it's great. I'm happy for you, Moriah.

lani Keller said...

I got a little choked up reading the blog because I'm selfish and I just want you to come home! I miss you! I also got a package last night full of fabulousness!! Thanks to you and Jason. The calendar is coming to work with me, I *cannot* wait to try the PUMPKIN hot sauce (yum!) and I'm going to get all stupid before popping in the adult swim-ness. You are the best. Tell Jason to get ready for a hard-drive in the mail!!

I love you!

betharoo said...

Ok, so I had no idea you were a blogger! I am sooo behind the times. And by the way, I want your island life. Cockroaches and all!