Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mosquito Whisperer

First off, is Jason naked? I'll leave you guessing on that one. Just know, we live in a very warm climate where minimal to no clothing is the most desirable state of being.

Also in this warm climate we have mosquitoes. Lots of mosquitoes. We just get used to having around 3 or more lively little houseguests at any given time. This situation is generally fine and not too bothersome. One gets immune over time to the bites. But they are a nuisance, and when you get the occasional one that makes the buzzing noise...eh! Lucky for me, I have a boyfriend who really has a talent for killing these critters.

One normally wouldn't think of such a thing as a "talent", but trust me, it is. I often awake in the night to the swoosh noise of the racket sailing through the air. He can do it in the dark! Such a gratifying sound the crackle when one is hit (plus in the dark there is a great spark). And when I am being bothered in bed by one buzzing in my ear, it doesn't matter the ungodly hour, I just poke my man in the side and the racket is waving quickly over my head in a matter of seconds. It is really amazing that he has yet to hit me, which I must admit I am pretty grateful for. I shocked myself with one of those rackets once (everyone has to do it once) and it gives quite the jolt.

The science of the mosquito way is quite complicated...something I never realized until I lived on St. John. You have the 'disappearing mosquito' that just magically vanishes, the 'fat and happy mosquito' that is full of blood and lounging somewhere waiting to make a blood baby, and the 'camouflage mosquito' that flies around dark fabrics and other shady areas. Jason rules them all. Seriously! It is one of those things that he can do that I just can't. Sure, the occasional one dies in my clapping hands, but I have nothing on him. HE IS MY HERO!

You would understand if you lived here, which you likely don't, so pooh! By the way, itching a mosquito bite on my left leg as I write.

3 comments:

rain said...

I too, totally admire a man that is a wrangler of nastier animal life. There's something in the security of knowing, "I don't have to do this....JEEEEFFFF!" And then you know the situation is under control. So good work, Jason. What a man.

lani Keller said...

There is nothing....I mean NOTHING that bothers me more than sleeping with buzzing in my ear. It is tormenting. Needless to say Topher is *not* good at killing them AND they can't get through his hairiness, meaning that the fuckers only bite me!

Beast is another story...she eats those bitches for breakfast (literally)

chira said...

hate mosquitoes.

especially if you get attacked (which i always am the first in thailand!) and look like you just got the chicken pox....