Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thou art a catchy phrase

I've never seen a place so well defined by its bumperstickers as St. John. I grew up in Wyoming, and even though we could sport the random bucking bronc or "Wrangler butts drive me nuts", they weren't strictly for a certain town and certainly were not necessarily indicative of the environment. Seattle and Cape Town, South African hardly had anything meaningful, and not even NYC. But welcome to St. John! Maybe because it is such a tourist destination, and a lot of locals take such ownership over its beauty, ironies, and oddities. Here is a tell-tale bumpersticker sampling that gives you a good idea about this place:

-We're all here, 'cuz we're not all there
-St. John: world's largest open air asylum
-The odds are good, but the goods are odd (my favorite)

I know I'm forgetting some, but you get the idea. All appropriate and very much defining of my daily life. I'm surrounded by a bunch of freaks.

2 comments:

lani Keller said...

You need to come to SF and check out the Castro...let me tell you that the gay men in that hood love the stickers too.

Here's my favorite by far:

T BAGGR

Ha! Tea-baggin' ain't for grandmama's anymore.

rain said...

I always liked the I-heart-(fill in the blank with whatever you're emotionally attached to) bumper-stickers in Wyoming. I think we had an I heart the YMCA, because, we really, really did. And you know if it's on a bumper-sticker it's a way of letting it all hang out. Here it's a gem like, RULDS2? Because, you know, it's freaking hilarious. Ah, Mormon humor.