Monday, May 19, 2008

The Parade of Humanity here Folks


"All I can say is 'Wow'," Kathie Lee Gifford, Carnival Cruise ship commercial

I don't know why I was surprised. Being on a cruise ship is like living the stereotype. It is a really weird feeling. Although Jason and I enjoyed ourselves, I don't think we are cut out for 'cruising'. To put it in perspective...it was like the diaspora that is KMart patrons and workers was all of a sudden afloat on a huge ship. Now I am no one to point fingers and call out trashiness. I grew up in the small town of Buffalo, Wyoming after all, but SERIOUSLY! They had an art show o
f Thomas Kincaid! I am almost embarrassed to admit that I even know who that is, with my Art History Major background, but I have gone to a mall, after all. The whole situation was almost shocking.

Our first dinner was with an elderly couple, Ron and Cecile. They were from Upstate New York (common answer). They gave us all sorts of hints on how to get the most for our buck on the vacation. This included the advice of pouring vodka into water bottles to bring on board (we did that), and taking pictures of the photos that they take in the photo gallery over the week so we wouldn't have to pay the inflated price for the actual copy (we did not do that). Ron proceeded to eat the most insane amount of food I've ever seen, which I soon realized was the 'cruise ship way'...several appetizers, several main course, repeat appetizers, repeat main courses. Sure, the food is free, but it is DISGUSTING. I think Jason and I were the only people on board that believed that. I actually made myself sick one morning because I woke up and started thinking about the food.

Our dinner companions for the rest of the trip were newlyweds Denny and Melody. Although very different from us, they were really awesome and entertaining. They were from Norf
olk, VA (they called it NAWfuck). They were into their 6th cruise or so and thus very experienced. They also really enjoyed the food, and maybe thought Jason and I were a little crazy. But they were very great to spend a little time with, nonetheless.

A brief island synopsis:
Dominica...amazing! Everything we thought it would be and more. Definitely going back.

Barbados...sucks. Filthy, nasty beaches that looked beautiful before the closer take. Never go there.
St. Lucia...beautiful. No need to go back. It was nice, but we did all we really needed to that day.
St. Kitts...meh. A little disappointed. Not particularly nice beaches. Cute town area, but no need to visit again.

Antigua...seemed really charming, would like to see more but we were too lazy. Maybe a return visit some day. Maybe.

One thing that I can appreciate about this whole experience is this: I am very fortunate to live on St. John. The beaches here really are the most beautiful and clean. The island is mostly pristine thanks to the national park. And because it is a U.S. territory there is enough of a tourism industry that we don't have the poverty that Dominica and St. Lucia have. I was actually glad to come home! I can't believe I'm saying that!

So overall...good enough vacation, but won't be going on a cruise ship again.

What are you looking at SWAN? They made us towel animals every night.

This was the cheese plate at the wine bar. Believe it. Saltines with American, Cheddar and Swiss.

We kept ourselves entertained anyway.

Melody and Denny wearing their t-shirts with pride.

5 comments:

lani Keller said...

OMG...can you PLEASE make me animals from towels....pretty please!!

It sounds fabulous, saltines and all!

-lani

Anonymous said...

I went on a cruise last summer (free!) and the towel animals were a highlight. The food, alas, was less so. Although I think I ate more cantalope than is safe for one person...

rain said...

I want some towel animals, too. Whomever that artist is, I am assuming they are grossly underpaid. Also, I laughed at the cheese plate. That person has the same amount of creativity that I do....sadly, that's no compliment.

chira said...

ha i forgot about the towel animals.

i went with some girls we made the most of it by making friends with the band and staff and sneaking down to their restaurant/bar to kick it with them.

:)

The Phillips said...

Mo Love - Good to hear from you - sorry about the unimpressive cruise adventure...when are you coming back to Seattle?? Would love to see you -