Monday, June 2, 2008

While we slept

An epic battle for life ensued just feet from where we slept. How did we sleep through said battle? I say a big thanks to a large bottle of wine.

So what exactly happend? Well, many of my friends know that through the years our little apartment has been a bit of a critter super highway. When our latest rat visitor came over last week, we did what we always do...set up a plethora of traps. We got poison, old-fashion rat traps with peanut butter, and the little sticky paper thing (do not complain to me about being inhumane...rats deserve the slow death if it gets stuck on that thing).

Well...when we woke up this morning we saw the cupboard below the sink open and the rug all in a bunch with the dust pan and little hand broom stuck to the upside down sticky rat paper. The rat escaped from the sticky paper, but not with his tail. Ew. I guess if it comes down to gnawing your own tail off to survive, you just do it.

Our apartment isn't much more than a hallway, so this all went down about 5 feet from our bed. Again, thank you red wine.

Mr. Rat may have escaped this time, but I know his days are numbered because he's been eating the poison. Fingers crossed that he dies outside and not in our cistern or behind our fridge.

2 comments:

rain said...

I'm all about the inhumanity to rodents,(except bunnies). Sorry, but besides being disgusting, their list of cons WAY outweighs any pros...are there any pros? Also, I have relatives that swear by "having a conversation with all unwanted pests." Ironically, or actually not, these are also the people that introduced me to herbal birth control. We all know how well that worked out.

Anonymous said...

Rats are alarming and disgusting; I'm all about whatever it takes to get them out of your house. I had a mouse close to a year ago, and even that freaked me out. My opinion? If it's alive and I didn't invite it in -- it deserves whatever it gets.