Thursday, June 26, 2008

That time of year

Carnival time on St. John. Anyone familiar with the Caribbean knows that each island has its own Carnival at a certain time every year, and these are BIG BIG deals. I think the most popular would be in Trinidad or Brazil, but it's enough to get little St. John worked into a frenzy as well.

Jason and I hit up the food fair on Sunday for some chicken roti, conch, macaroni and cheese and steamed veggies. Classic West Indian fare.

I admit to being a little sad because I managed to miss the one thing I've never been to in these years...a pageant. Pageants are HUGE down here. If you are a winner, it may be the highlight of your entire life. Seriously. Even though the island is only about 4,000 people and your competition only 2 other girls. But man do they put in the effort for a long (3+ hours) show.

And of course, since I have to work on July 4th-our main celebratory day here on STJ-I will not be able to partake in my favorite part...the parade. It is not much of a parade, admittedly. It is completely island style, getting started around an hour or 2 late each time, but it doesn't matter. The streets are crowded with people and it's an all day party (there are no liquor laws down here, so its free-flowin', cheap, strong, and everywhere). The parade lasts 4 or 5 hours with floats coming through maybe every 45 minutes. Ah island life. And I am definitely not making it up at 4am for J'ouvert. Did that a few years ago, sobered up and went to work. Once is enough for me.

Definitely looking forward to more good food and live music in the nights to come. On a little island where not much happens, it is good to have something going on.

2 comments:

rain said...

That food sounds delicious. I'm always hungry these days, and whatever it was that you listed, I'm thinking I am having a severe craving.

lani Keller said...

It almost sounds like a cruise on the island. Fantastical.

-lani